How can we creatively describe this time of great turning or transition from a variety of perspectives? With diverse narratives we can develop our capacity for critical thinking and a strategic perspective on the changes underway in the world. In turn, what skill-sets are needed to thrive and succeed in the new world that is fast emerging? In this course we will explore a wide range of narratives that can help us transcend old cultural paradigms and see the world in new ways. Some of these narratives include “From a Dead to a Living Universe”, “The Nature of a Living Universe”, “Humanity Is Growing Up”, “The Global Brain Is Waking Up” and many more.
Course Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- Compare and contrast "scientific materialism" and "the living universe" as perceptual paradigms, including their underlying values and assumptions and impact on life on Earth.
- List and distinguish at least 6 universal narratives that provide vision and meaning for this time of great transition.
- Develop their own narrative strategies by synthesizing the presented narratives into a unique narrative that reflects the their culture, values, and purpose.
- Apply the power of narratives and worldviews to reframe challenges, envision new approaches, and inform decisions regarding how they live, work, and develop.
- Summarize the “great transition” or “great turning” that is occurring in the world today and two ways it is shaping economics, politics, and social life.