Mathematics underpins much more of our reality than most of us realize. It contains many of life’s design secrets… how all the different elements of nature connect and grow, what proportions contain greatest power and vitality, and how our digital and logical thinking works. The magic of math is often lost in classroom tedium. This course attempts to bring the magic back to life. This course will be different from any math course that most have ever taken. Together, we will walk through many of the basic languages and principles of mathematics and end up not only more comfortable with mathematical concepts, but hopefully, enjoying and finding amazement in these most ancient forms of human inquiry.
Course Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- Demonstrate comfort and competence in working with variables, exponents, fractions, decimals and percents en route to generating appropriate equations leading to the solving of complex word problems.
- Draw, analyze and interpret linear, quadratic and logarithmic functions and graphs.
- Find practical and appropriate use of statistical and probabilistic data.
- Recognize and generate geometric shapes, measurements, theorems and basic trigonometric principles.
- Appreciate and speak the foundational language of mathematics as heard through numbers theory and calculus. And comfortably begin to explore and examine the qualitative and quantitative, sacredly geometric patterns of this spectacular living universe.